Author Topic: Default Editor ... that is not default  (Read 1685 times)

andreamoro

Default Editor ... that is not default
« on: February 05, 2011, 05:42:40 AM »
Despite I've double checked the Suffix Manager to have my .html and .html files associated with TextMate and .css file to be opened with CSSEdit when I double click on a item (Preferences pane double-click to edit is ticked) Growls notify me the file is ready to be edited ... but nothing happens.

Any idea?

Also, reading some old post, like this one
http://www.yummysoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.0;prev_next=next

it looks like some changes was planned regarding the toolbar, but I continue to see one edit icon only that is permanently disabled regardless the file I select in my remote FTP.

andreamoro

Re: Default Editor ... that is not default
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:10:15 AM »
Ok, using the get info on the file and adding the default editor there generate a second entry into the suffix manager, which solves the problem.
However it is a bit incomprehensible the reason why two entries are required for this "auto editing" feature.

Also, it looks like there is a problem specifying the utility for opening the ".zip" files. Despite I've two different application installed (BetterZip and the one that comes with PathFinder), once I select one of the,. Yummy shows Address-O-Sync as a default app. Really weird.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Looks like you've got yourself very confused!

First of all, while setting of the default editor for given suffix has always been available via the Suffix Mapping table, so many people found it troublesome to configure the correct settings that I made it automatic via the Info window.

So now that you've discovered the Info window setting you've ended up with two entries for each suffix - one works and one doesn't. Confusing to say the least.

I would suggest to revert the Suffix Mapping table to its default state - you can click the Defaults button in the Suffix Mapping window to do that. Then close the Suffix Mapping window and use the Info window to configure your preferred editors.

Once you've reverted everything and configured the suffixes via the Info window as you require, please try the edit feature again.

Bear in mind that there is a default editor, one that is used for all extensions you don't specifically configure. That is configured in the Server Options panel of the Preference, and it's this app's icon which appears as the Edit feature in Yummy's toolbar.

One thing to check : are you using version 1.8.3 ? There was a bug with editing in the latest version of TextMate in 1.8.2 and older

For the .zip file issue, unless you have specifically configured a preferred editor for a given file name extension, then the default editor is used.

In my Info window, it shows the default editor as TextWrangler, because I haven't set a preferred editor in the Suffix Mapping window for the .zip extension, even though the Suffix Mapping entry for .zip specifies Stuffit Expander as its post-process application - I don't have Use As Default Editor ticked.

If you have Address-O-Sync coming up then my guess would be that in trying to get the Suffix Mapping table to your preferred state, something is messed up. Again, I'd choose to revert to Defaults in the Suffix Mapping Window, and use the Info window from now on.

Sorry you couldn't post a link to the forum. I had to ban this due to spamming issues. I will review the toolbar discussion - I'd forgotten all about it, I have to admit!

andreamoro

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »
Hi JD,

I believe to have a little of experience regarding the computer, and before modifying the changes via the Info windows, I did exactly the same you suggested or the info windows did.

I'm using the latest beta, so the 1.8.3.

However, as you can see, the default settings, that I actually just pressed, propose the extensions twice, and this may lead people into confusion.
Code: [Select]
https: // img.skitchNO LINKS ALLOWED/20110206-kq6fhb8e46eg16s157tgpx7npp.jpg
Infact, it looks like to get the editing functionality working properly, the element that must be changed is the one without the type specified (first field in the form).
So what's the point to have the same settings into two elements, if only one is working?

Assuming the element in the list which contains the mime type is the one that contains the settings used during the upload phase, why don't you remove the editing setting for that element?

Anyway, I just have had a second try. I created manually a file extension in the suffix manager as one (with a different extension) created by the info property. Even replicating the setting, the extension created manually doesn't edit the file automatically.
I believe there is some bug somewhere!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:04:58 AM by andreamoro »

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
Hmm, yes that IS strange. I will test and get back to you asap!

andreamoro

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
That would be fantastic. I did another test and it look like on the second time I've been luckier.
Have a look at it anyway.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
You're right! BetterZip had a similar issue to the one I fixed the other day with Sublime Text 2 :)

Now I've fixed it locally, everything is behaving very well. I'll make a new release asap.

Btw on review, I added two entries to the default suffix mapping table to demonstrate that you can have separate settings for upload and download. Only one is necessary of course, and the two pre-configured this way are harmless.