Author Topic: Bookmark format and "Store passwords in keychain" off  (Read 1656 times)

Luke

Bookmark format and "Store passwords in keychain" off
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
Likely the bookmarks are encrypted, especially when "Store passwords in keychain" is off. What I would like to do is make a program that syncs bookmarks to/from YummyFTP and a Windows based FTP program. In order to do that I need to be able to read and write bookmarks. If encrypted it would be nice if there was a way to specify what the encryption key is and have that stored in the keychain. That way I can give my program this key so it can sync bookmarks back and forth.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Bookmark format and "Store passwords in keychain" off
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »
Is this so you can sync/share FTP Bookmarks between work and home? Better to use a Mac at work and Dropbox to do the sync/share :)

Luke

Re: Bookmark format and "Store passwords in keychain" off
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
I use a Mac at work and at home. The issue is other people in our company prefer Windows and refuse to use a Mac. This makes managing project credentials a pain. I need to, for example, Sync credentials to/from YummyFTP and CuteFTP/FileZilla.

I made another topic about developing a protocol to make this possible. But I'd settle with a second cross platform app that would sync the details to/from the FTP apps. I would prefer the protocol because at least the details wouldn't actually be stored on the machine.

Right now we have to email credentials to each other, and our "Favorites" are not completely "in sync". It's a source of much irritation. Also old credentials from other projects tend to build up. I clean out the old credentials, but sometimes the client wants more work done months later after the project is complete... So then I have to re-add them.

Simply put: I need a way to manage credentials for projects that all the people involved can easily access. If I had a web interface through a protocol I could simply un-check the old projects and they just wouldn't show up. If we need to work on them again I just re-enable them. If a password changes I only have to do it once.

Here is something I want to avoid doing:

FileZilla is cross-platform and very easy to modify because it's open source. I really dislike using it. Dropbox is cross platform as well. What I don't want to do is have everyone use Filezilla. I'd rather everyone use their choice app but still have access to project credentials without having to email/text/yell them out.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:54:52 PM by Luke »