Author Topic: Change columns separately in local and remote browser  (Read 2058 times)

Cantello

Change columns separately in local and remote browser
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
I have bought YummyFTP just today (due to the MU promo, although I have tested it before) and so far have only two things that could be changed in my opinion:

- create an option that the columns (kind, owner, etc.) can be set separately for the local browser (things on my Mac) and the remote browser (the FTP server). I normally only need file name and size locally but permissions, owner and size remotely.
- 'beautify' the programme. I know that it is a very powerful tool, but while testing FTP apps, I found myself drawn to the ones with a better design (IMO). I do not mean that Yummy should look as candy-like as Transmit but in terms of ease of use it sure is well-designed (e.g. change the remote folder, one click there, two clicks here, open bookmarks on start: two clicks here, one click there). Additionally, the fonts and UI elements honestly look a bit outdated within Yummy, e.g. the tool bar, where I often do not know what the icons symbolise.

Enough criticism, back to syncing my local music files with my remote FTP server! :-)

Helge.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Change columns separately in local and remote browser
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
Hi Helge,

Firstly thank you for purchasing the MU promo!

Unless I've misunderstood you, the columns can already be arranged independantly - just click and drag the column title to re-arrange. It's only when you have "DualBrowse" enabled that the two browsers (local and remote) are kept completely in sync. Maybe you enabled "DualBrowse" by mistake?

I definitely agree with you on the second point. In fact, I'm already working on v2.0 of Yummy for some time which I am concentrating purely on the UI aspect for those very reasons. It's still quite some way off even alpha status, but definitely on the way :)

Cantello

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
JD, thanks for the quick reply!

What I meant is that the order of the columns can be changed independently, but the number of columns cannot. for example, I'd like to have the following layout: Local folders (name, modified date, size), remote folders (name, date, size, permissions, owner, group). Can this be achieved now? I only seem to be able to switch the order of the columns, not remove them without modifying the 'global' preferences in the settings dialogue.

Looking forward to a potential 2.0! :-)

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
Ah, I see what you mean. I'll add this as a To Do for v2 :)

spacific

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
In the meantime, adjust the local pane's width so that permissions, owner and group don't show.  It's never been an issue with me.

Cantello

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
In the meantime, adjust the local pane's width so that permissions, owner and group don't show.  It's never been an issue with me.

True, but you cannot completely get rid of these columns, see below (ok, no images allowed, I get two or three dots in the columns I try to minimise as they can only shrink to a few pixel but they cannot be completely hidden).

Did you manage to totally hide them?

spacific

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:38 AM »
I don't mean hide them by reducing the column widths to 0 (like in a spreadsheet), but just by having the local pane's width reduced so that you can only see the first two or three columns -- you would have to scroll sidewards to see the others.  I like to have Yummy's windows fairly narrow, so typically I see only 3 columns (name, date, size) showing in the remote pane (other columns are present, you just can't see them), and perhaps only 1 or 2 columns in the local pane, if I choose to show it at all.