Author Topic: YummyFTP support Webdav?  (Read 18541 times)

rmcellig

YummyFTP support Webdav?
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »
Does Yummy FTP support WebDav? What I am trying to do is mount a folder that exists on the FTP server I usually connect to. This way I can just drag and drop files from the folder to my desktop or for that matter wherever I like.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: YummyFTP support Webdav?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:50:44 AM »
No, Yummy does not (yet) support WebDAV. However, I'm unsure how this is related to your question, since WebDAV servers can be mounted in the Finder already.

rmcellig

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:53:28 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply. All I want to be able to do is mount a folder (from my FTP server site), on the desktop, if this makes any sense.

Thanks so much!!

Randy

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:18:39 AM »
You can do that in the Finder too, using the Connect To Server option from the Go menu. The only restriction is that you cannot upload to the mounted FTP server. This has nothing to do with Yummy FTP, though.

rmcellig

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
Thanks!! That worked. Happy New Year!!!

dfs

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:38:57 AM »
Says guru " However, I'm unsure how this is related to your question, since WebDAV servers can be mounted in the Finder already." This is technically true, but at least in the case of iDisk if you mount it on the Finder and try to use it, very evil things often happen (spinning beach balls, even Finder crashes). I use my iDisk for backups of a very large and complex bunch of files, Apple Backup is unspeakably bad. At the moment, Transmit (which is WebDAV-friendly) is the only reliable tool I have for working with my iDisk, although in lots of other ways Transmit is inferior to Yummy. Among other drawbacks,  "manually" is one of the dirtiest words in the English language, and Transmit doesn't have an equivalent of Yummy's automatic synch feature. I've discussed with Jason the possibility of making Yummy WebDAV friendly, he told me quite a while ago that it was in the works, so I am very disappointed that no visible progress is being made on this issue. I am not quite sure he grasps the urgency of this issue. As far as I am concerned, whatever FTP client software is the first to feature both WebDAV awareness and auto-synching will win the whole race. This subject is very very frustrating to me.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »
Will it help if I remove 'guru' from my description? :)

Honestly, I only put that there as a bit of a joke. It doesn't mean anything.

I DO hear you about WebDAV. I have a few people ask for it now and again, and I HAVE made some progress with it but it's not easy - for me anyway. It's a whole new protocol (HTTP) plus WebDAV on top. That's a LOT of changes.

I do admit to being sidetracked a lot, though. The biggest time loser of all is bug report investigation. For example, just recently there was a big thread on synchs which failed really miserably - I can't possibly ignore that... if there is a bug in Yummy which potentially affects most users then I have to take it seriously, investigate and fix it. This one bug has taken a month of my time, but it was worth it because there really was a bug in Yummy. And just recently, of course, was another time sink - Leopard.

WebDAV is very high on my To Do list. All I can say is that I am committed to providing it, as soon as I can. Just please keep in mind that there is only one person here at Yummy Software - me - and I am already stretched well past the limit :)

Wim.Koornneef

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 04:27:17 AM »
Hello Jason,

In a short time I became a big fan of YummyFTP and all the extra options I have, f.e. the possibility to transfer a zipped folder that can be remotely unzipped by the server, are much appreciated.

I also have some WebDAV folders on my server and I like to move some of the content to a FTP folder on the same server.
It turns out that this don't work with Yummy, there is a Rename issue that prevents it. I understand that moving on the same server is in fact a Rename action and I know that it is not possible right now for Yummy FTP  to handle a WebDAV folder.

I like to know if a future expansion of Yummy FTP (named Yummy MultiProtocol ?)  will make it possible to work transparently between folders and files created with both FTP and WebDAV. It would be great if users are not restricted by a protocol as it is right now.

Best,

Wim

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 03:09:36 PM »
Hi Wim,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I'm not really clear what you mean by a "WebDAV folder" and an "FTP folder". There isn't such a thing, as far as I know, so it makes it difficult for me to answer your question.

You're right that in the FTP protocol moving an item actually requires using the rename command, specifying a full path from the old location to the new. It can't matter that a folder on the same server is used for WebDAV access, as long as the FTP server itself can access it, then you should be able move things in your FTP server to that folder.

So I'm not really sure what you're seeing, maybe a simple permissions issue? What happens when you try?

-Jason

Wim.Koornneef

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 02:55:01 AM »
I'm not really sure what you're seeing, maybe a simple permissions issue? What happens when you try?

Hello Jason,
All folders on my site can be read with both protocols so Yumy has full access to folders that are set to work with WebDAV (Thats why I call it WebDAV folders).
Although Yummy is capable to transferring files to my desktop I can't put anything from my desktop in these WebDAV folders with Yummy, neither can I rename files in the WebDAV folders with Yummy.

When I try to move files out of a WebDAV folder to a folder that is created with Yummy I get a message that I don't have the right permissions. When I try to change the permissions I get another error message. So indeed its a matter of permissions that I can't get right. I will sent you 2 screenshots so you can see what I am trying to do.

Thanks for your support,

Best,
Wim.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:56:41 AM by Wim.Koornneef »

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »
You'll need to speak with the server administrator to see if they can set up the permissions such that this will be possible. This isn't a limitation caused by Yummy, it's just how the servers are configured.

llathieyre

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 04:03:25 AM »
I believe you are missing an important point here : it would be nice Yummy supports WebDAV since users want to sync their remote webDav with a local Folder.

Yummy is great but competition now include support to remote webDAV or even S3 servers.

thx

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 06:59:10 AM »
No, I'm not missing the point at all. WebDAV and S3 are already requested features on my To Do list. However, the vast majority of users and servers require plain FTP or SFTP and access via WebDAV and S3 is still a minority. Yummy fully supports synching a local folder to a server via FTP, SFTP and FTPS, and will support the same when WebDAV and S3 are eventually added.

netnothing

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
No, I'm not missing the point at all. WebDAV and S3 are already requested features on my To Do list. However, the vast majority of users and servers require plain FTP or SFTP and access via WebDAV and S3 is still a minority. Yummy fully supports synching a local folder to a server via FTP, SFTP and FTPS, and will support the same when WebDAV and S3 are eventually added.

Hey JD.....any update on adding in Amazon S3 support?

I've been using the S3 Firefox Organizer, but would love native support in Yummy!

-Kevin

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
As reported in another thread, I have had some personal issues over the last few months that have prevented me from doing any real work on Yummy. So, although I am now back on the job I'm afraid I am no closer to providing either WebDAV nor S3 at this point. I do know that these are increasingly popular protocols now and I want to support them as soon as I can.