Author Topic: Bandwidth control/Number of files being uploaded  (Read 4544 times)

eerobicheaux

Bandwidth control/Number of files being uploaded
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
I need to continue to upload image files and the reason I purchased Yummy was the ability to limit the upload bandwidth so I don't overwhelm our internet connection. If I have 20 files to upload, all of the applications seem to start all 20 rather than sequencing the files one at a time. I was hopping there was an ability to limit the upload to, say 3 files at a time. Is this possible? Also, what is an effective speed to limit the bandwidth on an upload? My provider upload speed is approximately 3.5 mps. Thanks Earl

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Bandwidth control/Number of files being uploaded
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
Hi Earl,

By default Yummy FTP tries to make maximum use of your bandwidth, and one of the means it does so is by using 5 simultaneous connections, with the transfer load (in this case 20 files) being spread amongst them - so 4 files per connection, 5 files being transferred at the same time.

You can limit (or increase) the number of simultaneous connections via the Max Connections setting in the Preferences under the Transfers panel. If you set it to 3 then there will only be three files transferred at a time.

As for upload speed setting, it really depends on how much bandwidth you wish to keep free for others on your network, so I can't really make any particular recommendation - it depends on your particular scenario and usage. Suffice to say that your upload speed is 3.5Mbps, which is roughly 437KB/sec in Yummy FTP bandwidth measurements, then you could try at 30% to start with : 130KB/sec

Hope that helps!

-Jason

eerobicheaux

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
Jason:

Thanks for your response. I tried limiting the limiting the maximum connections to 3 but it seemed to reduce the number of simultaneous connections to 3 and 3 files per connection. Since each is 54 megs, that still was a lot of bandwidth. What effect does the option "Split transaction" have on this process? I did use the default setting of 102 KB/sec and that worked fine, but I will try your suggestion and up it 140 KB. I would rather like to limit the simultaneous files rather than the KB though. So will try reducing it to 2.

Earl

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
I think you have some misunderstanding.

Even if there is just one file being transferred at a time, Yummy FTP will try to send it as quickly as possible, and can easily do so at your maximum bandwidth, and regardless of the size of the file.

If you want to limit the impact of reduced bandwidth by your uploads you need to use the bandwidth limiter function. The number of simultaneous connections / files you transfer is irrelevant if you're limiting the amount of bandwidth you use. Those capabilities are used to speed up transfers, after all.

Just to explain what you saw:

When you say you had 3 files per connection, this does not mean there are 3 files transferring at the same time on that connection. Only one file can be transferred on a connection. The other two are queued up waiting for that transfer to finish.