Author Topic: Store bookmarks on cloud drive  (Read 2642 times)

ne0shell

Store bookmarks on cloud drive
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:13 PM »
Is there a way to modify yummyftp so I can store my bookmarks on a cloud drive such as google drive or skydrive?

It would be great to keep a single set of bookmarks I can access from my desktop or laptop and be able to keep them in sync.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Store bookmarks on cloud drive
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »
You can store them on DropBox right now, see the ReadMe file for more info :

http://www.yummysoftware.com/su/readme.zip

I am working to make it more automatic/integrated for a forthcoming update... ;)

rtharston

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
I was actually going to ask about this too. I have had Dropbox for a while and literally never used it so I uninstalled it and moved my bookmarks to iCloud and linked them into the Library but when I opened Yummy it didn't see anything!
I soon realized that Yummy was still looking for them in the Dropbox folder so I then spent half and hour searching the forums and going through the preferences to try and find the option to turn the Dropbox integration back off. It finally dawned on me that the option might only appear if Dropbox is installed so I reinstalled Dropbox and voila. The option was back. A real pain.

Now for the good part. I discovered that while it says 'Dropbox' it actually lets you pick any folder you want, so I just clicked on the iCloud Drive icon on the left of the select window and it worked.

So here is my suggestion. Drop the Dropbox thing. If it works with any cloud service, then calling the option Dropbox makes it sound like it only works on Dropbox. That is false and misleading. Since there are other services like iCloud Drive and Google Drive that work in exactly the same way it would be nicer if it was worded differently stating it works with any sync service, just select a folder and its done.
Second, since it works whether or not Dropbox is installed you should always leave the preference panel available, but maybe called 'Sync options' or 'Cloud syncing' or whatever. That would get rid of all this confusion on whether or not it works on anything else. And that would mean people who don't even use Dropbox (like me) won't have to install it just to discover the option exists. Especially since every Mac this is going to be installed on already has iCloud built in.

So, I'm glad I discovered I can indeed use iCloud Drive. Yummy calls it Dropbox even though it isn't but it works exactly the same so it can't tell the difference. ;) So again, I'd clear up the confusion in the preference pane and everything will be good for everyone who has this question!

Thanks for the great FTP client, it really is fast and reliable. Good luck on 2!

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »
You are right - it will work with any type of service that works in the way Dropbox does, so that includes iCloud Drive, Google Drive, etc. I could certainly expand the support to these services : there is code that is specifically written to handle Dropbox sync (for example automatically offering syncing if Dropbox is installed and running), so I'd have to make changes there and UI wise. I'll add this to my To Do :)