Author Topic: Feature Request – Diff All button in Synchronization Preview  (Read 2472 times)

XavierRamirez

Feature Request – Diff All button in Synchronization Preview
« on: November 18, 2015, 03:44:04 AM »
I use Yummy FTP every day to manage several websites and as such the Synchronize button gets a lot of use.

It is my favourite feature, however I do find myself clicking the “Diff” button several dozens times to see if the contents of the files themselves are actually different, because different modification dates don’t always equate to the contents being different as well.

So I propose that it would be great if there were a “Diff All” button in the synchronization preview. 

When you press this button, it does the diff command on all the files listed in the preview, and a new column “Diff Lines” could show up on the right of the “Reason” column and it would show the number of lines that are different for that file. Most of them will most likely show 0 lines, but the ones that have higher values could be reviewed more carefully with the current “Diff” button.

This would enhance the already powerful sync feature by giving the user another tool to determine which files actually need to be synchronized.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Feature Request – Diff All button in Synchronization Preview
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
I think the best solution is to re-use the existing Diff button and allow it to be enabled when multiple items are selected, to diff all the selected items at once. Right now it is limited to only one item being selected, otherwise it is disabled.

How does that sound?

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
Well I went ahead and made this change for the next update. It was pretty easy :)

XavierRamirez

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »
This is quite helpful. I tried the new version and I like that I don't have to press diff button several times.

The only thing is now I have to click ok on all the windows that say there's no difference. Not too bad – I just have to click the same spot several times, which is easier than before, clicking on each file on the sync list and then the diff button. You have shaved the number of clicks in half :-)

Don't get me wrong. I love what you did and I'm impressed by how fast this feature was implemented. All the files that have differences now open up for review and the ones that are the same are now a little window that I have to click okay.

In the future, if there's any way that when you do diff on multiple files, you could get a one-window report of all the files that where identical?

For example:
84 files where identical. 13 files had differences.
[ OK ]

This would be perfect.

I love your app, and everyday it gets better. Thank you so much!

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:59 PM »
Yep, I get it - let's see what I can do ;)

Always open for improvement!

... and I was going to say, if you get a lot of files which are identical apart from line endings, perhaps you should try un-checking the 'Check sizes if dates match' option in the Sync settings > Advanced.

Does that help reduce the number of false positives?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:11:18 PM by JD »

XavierRamirez

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:31 PM »
I usually have "compare sizes if dates match" unchecked.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
Ok. Do the server files update to the correct date/time when you upload? If not, and you are using FTP, try to enable the Use MDTM option in your Bookmark.

XavierRamirez

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
I wasn't aware of the MDTM option, I have tried it and now the files retain the proper modification dates on upload.  This will help us a lot in the future to keep files from having different modification dates. Is there a way to make this option a default for all new bookmarks and for new connections?

If you ever get to make a diff all report window as mentioned earlier that will help too :-)

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
Currently, this option is disabled by default as many servers don't support it, and of those that do so, some support it incorrectly. I wouldn't rely on it working with any particular server unless you have verified it yourself.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 01:04:10 PM »
For the moment, until I get time to make a summary as you're suggesting, I've fixed it in the next update so that you don't get multiple 'Files identical' windows to dismiss.