Author Topic: Help/Show Info  (Read 9207 times)

julianps

Help/Show Info
« on: November 04, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »
I am looking at the software right now; looks like a good job!

One question; when I look at remote files and take Show Info I can see permissions as numbers [644|777|etc] but when I look at local files I only get the (pretty useless) Finder window. Could we not have the same window as for remote files - this would help us novices get permissions correct?

Secondly, when the remote Show Info pane opens it obscures the files lists. Could you not put this in a floating window?

Thanks in advance/Jules

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Help/Show Info
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »
The reason that the Finder info window is used is that it contains a lot of controls over the item in question, including permissions. We could spend a lot of time re-implementing what the Finder provides, but quite honestly I think it's better that the Finder is left to do its job. There are also many complications that would arise out of such a development - for example having to bring up the Authorization window in order to change some settings, as the Finder does. I do appreciate your point, but I think development time is better spent making Yummy better in other areas. Feel free to convince me otherwise :)

One thing that will probably help a lot with your particular scenario is that the Mac listing has a Permissions column, so you can see the permissions right there.

Additionally, if you are using SFTP, there is an option in the Preferences which will automatically synchronize the permissions of transferred items.

Regarding the floating window, yes it could be done. I see your point about obscuring the listing. It's interesting to note that there has been much feedback in the past which indicates that the floating Info window in other FTP clients is not liked, and the 'attached' window is preferred. Maybe a preference is in order.

julianps

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 01:42:09 PM »
Thanks JD,

Good mail; good points. Good luck.

BTW, I went back to Transmit (groan) because I could not work how to force an ASCII upload in Yummy. I think I might be too thick to be allowed to comment further..... :P

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:15:21 PM »
Don't be silly.. if you have questions just ask. That's what support is all about! :)

Simply select from the Menu bar : Transfer -> Encoding -> ASCII