Author Topic: Automatically show New Connection window  (Read 1012 times)

gotjoshua

Automatically show New Connection window
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »
I feel like this option behaves backwards.

Scenario 1:
I open the app fresh - I want the New Connection Window (why should i press cmd N every time i start?)

Scanario 2:
I had 3 windows open and i want to _close_ 2 of them... When I cmd w it "automatically shows the new connection window" even thought i do not have that option checked.

Do you Agree that this is somehow broken?
Fixable??

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Automatically show New Connection window
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »
1. You need to enable the option for Yummy to 'Automatically open'

2. The connection you cmd-W on was opened from a New Connection window you opened so it takes you back to the New Connection window you had because you declined the offer to Save As Bookmark.

You should use Bookmarks. The New Connection window is for .. well .. NEW connections. And newbies and those who only ever connect to one server.

I hope it makes more sense?

gotjoshua

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »
Ok,
So sounds like that option _only_ refers to start up?

re 2.
Hmmmm. I understand what you say, but I don't get why. If I think about a browser for example (a tool even most newbies are familiar with):
If I _close_ a window(or tab) and I still have another one open, the browser does not compulsively ask me if i want to bookmark the thing I am closing, nor does it compulsively offer to open another page for me. File Explorers are generally the same.
The one exception i can think of is if i close the last window or tab of a browser (in windows) i think it will keep a blank tab open.

What does it mean that "you should use bookmarks"?
I do. But that doesn't mean that I need to bookmark everyplace I ever leave from...

more thoughts?

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
1. That and also when you click the dock icon when the app is in the background with no connections open.

2. In general, it's meant to mimic the behaviour of the browser you described. But I'm assuming you have the option disabled.

From your description I gathered you were using New Connection instead of making use of Bookmarks. I've seen many people go down this route and they like it that way, which is fine and why I keep supporting it, but fundamentally Yummy is designed to work with saved configurations like Bookmarks for keeping track of more advanced feature data.

Let me revisit your scenario and see if I can't improve things ;)