Author Topic: Change history options  (Read 1755 times)

Flashman

Change history options
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
I installed a 256gig SSD drive on my Mac Pro a few weeks ago to gain some extra speed but left the user data on the old SATA drive due to space issues. My exports folder was moved to the SSD but whenever I go to Yummy and look for a recent upload source folders in the history it only offers options from the old SATA that are no longer present. There is no way I can see to delete the history, nor will it replace them with the new locations after navigating there manually.

I realise I could stick the exports folder back on the SATA but it does feel strange that it isn't working as expected. Rapidweaver can be very slow to export so I figured that using the SSD might just deliver a small improvement.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:02:12 PM by Flashman »

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Change history options
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
Hmm that's a situation...

There's currently no way to manually clear or edit the history - it's completely self-maintaining in that it keeps track of the last 20 visited places. I could make it remove entries which no longer exist, but some people have removable media that they subsequently attach and expect the history (and saved syncs, for example) to still work so I'm hesitant to go ahead and remove entries automatically. I think the simplest answer is a Clear History option?

Flashman

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
I guess that might do the trick but it would be interesting to know why it's happening this way.

In practice it's showing the main SSD drive within the history list now, but not the actual folders I navigate to before uploading the changes. Basically it's not remembering the new upload locations found on the SSD.

One oddity of working this way is that you have the apps and OS on the main SSD but any extra items have to go inside a user folder on the SSD that is created by the OS. This shows up as "/Users" as opposed to "~/", which the location OS X recognises as the defacto location for user data still held on the old SATA.

Perhaps I am simply breaking the rules by placing content beyond the OS and apps inside this SSD beyond but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems elsewhere. Dropbox for example is is the same directory. I also have the site project folders for Rapidweaver in there. Rapidweaver is not having any problems selecting projects from the recently opened list.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:26:13 PM by Flashman »

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
Ah, I think I got it.. - I'll fix it up and send a beta test asap :)

Flashman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »
Just wondered if you were making any progress with that beta?

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »
Sorry for the delay - I am currently away on annual vacation. I will be back soon!

Flashman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
I see from Mac Update there is an update to Yummy FTP Pro. I have the app store version and it hasn't shown up there, so I just wondered if it fixes the history issue I've been seeing?

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
Yes! I think this update sorts the issue - I'm sorry I was meant to contact you with it :-\

The App Store version was submitted yesterday so I'm expecting the store to update today at some point.

Flashman

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
That's great to hear and I look forward to trying it. My age impaired brain struggled without coffee and I almost uploaded changes from the wrong locations a couple of times. This should make it a lot easier. 

Flashman

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
Installed that last night and it's working beautifully. Yummy is once again making my server uploads fast, easy and above all reliable.

Flashman

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
Just wondering if there is a file I can delete or a terminal command that will delete the old history because I am still left with a long list of unwanted source destinations in the history from when I was trying to figure this out. Given that I am always uploading from the same source location that list is not disappearing.

In my case I am working with Rapidweaver and exporting sites to local project sub folders on the Mac within a main "Exported" folder. These are created as destination bookmarks within Rapidweaver so I just hit the publish button and it all happens automatically. In practice the path might be something like Users/Ashley/Exported/GWD

Obviously we have server FTP bookmarks inside Yummy, but dare I say it, how about a bookmark option for the source upload location in Yummy?

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
Installed that last night and it's working beautifully. Yummy is once again making my server uploads fast, easy and above all reliable.

That's excellent news! Thanks for being so patient :)

I must admit I forgot to add the clear history option, so I'll do that for the next update! Otherwise there isn't a way to clear it other than to re-create the Bookmark.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:21:44 PM by JD »

Flashman

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
I've just seen that neat "clear menu" option for local upload locations. Thanks for that!

Earlier on I was editing a bookmark and for the first time I noticed you can select the local path rather than just leaving it on desktop and then manually navigating to a chosen location. Now every bookmark has a specifically selected export folder and I feel about as clever as an Amoeba for not having done this before... Oh well it's only been about 6 years  :-[

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
You're welcome :)

Don't worry.. many people miss all sorts of things like that. There's so many different things the app can do that it can be a bit overwhelming I suppose.

Flashman

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
I just hadn't given enough thought to the workflow side and realised the local source destination could also be saved as part of the FTP bookmark setting.

Each site from Rapidweaver is exported to a specific local project folder, so this has just made it silly easy and reliable for uploading. Now all I do is click on the chosen bookmark in Yummy and hit the upload synchronise button. Any folders on the server not associated with the Rapidweaver site are left untouched and the rest is all kept perfectly in synch  ;D