Author Topic: Folders being deleted from remote FTP server  (Read 153 times)

robgalbraith

Folders being deleted from remote FTP server
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »
Hi. Iím just getting going with FTP Watcher and Iíve run into a setup snag. Iíd like to point it at a remote FTP server, which contains a set of 16 folders, and have it download to my Mac the newly added files within those 16 folders to a parallel set of 16 folders on my Mac.

Then, delete the files from the remote FTP server. But, leave the 16 folders on the remote FTP server.

In my attempts so far, the remote FTP folders get deleted along with the files.

How can I configure FTP Watcher to accomplish this? Thanks for any information. (I can supply screenshots of my current configuration, if that helps, though I donít see a way to do that within the forum.)

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Folders being deleted from remote FTP server
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »
You'll need to either set up the same 16 folder structure on the Mac side, so that only files need to be downloaded, otherwise you'll need to configure 16 watchers - one for each of those folders.

robgalbraith

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
Thank you, JD. It worked to create the destination folder structure first. That's useful.

That said, it would be ideal if the option existed to not delete source folders when deleting source files after the folders and files have been pulled down from the remote FTP server. I have 12 sets of 16 folders on the FTP server, the names of the 16 change every few months and are accessed by several users, so itís more or less a certainty that source folders are going to get deleted accidentally unless they can be ignored - in terms of being deleted - when a sync runs. (Our current syncing tool, CrushSync, can leave the folders, but as itís a bit long in the tooth now weíre trying to move to something newer.)

Unless thereís another way to configure thing entirely, inasmuch as Iím using Auto Download now. Our workflow really needs to be a one-way sync from remote server to Mac, with the source files zapped after theyíve been downloaded to the Mac. But perhaps thereís another way to do that, within FTP Watcher.

Any additional information appreciated.

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:53:05 AM »
Right now there is no other way to do this, but I'll consider a new setting to 'Only apply to files' in the 'After transfer' options.

In the meantime, it's a bit of a hack, you could try setting the permissions of the server folders such that they cannot be deleted by Watcher.
Make sure to set the Preferences -> Error Handling tab -> Errors to 'Skip' and move the 'Delay' slider all the way to the left. This will prevent the failure to delete the folders brining up warning alerts.

robgalbraith

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
Thanks for that!