Author Topic: Localization  (Read 5937 times)

jphorn

Localization
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
Hi Jason,

Just installed the new 1.7.3b5 which is localized in many languages, and apparently also in Dutch. Could you please make this optional or give us an option to change back to English. I'm not saying the translation is bad, but I like to keep my software English. Seeing all the options in Dutch I am constantly trying to figure out which option or message is what  ??? Thanks for an excellent program!  8)

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
Re: Localization
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
The localization used by default is governed by your System Preferences settings. Look at International -> Language. So if Dutch is a higher priority in your list than English, then that is the localization that would be used. Drag the language list around to rearrange the priority.

That said, you can specifically disable any localization in an app by doing the following:

1. Quit Yummy FTP if it is running
2. Select Yummy FTP in the Finder
3. Choose the Get Info option from the File menu
4. In the 'Languages' section, uncheck the Dutch option
5. Close the Info window

jphorn

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:40 PM »
That said, you can specifically disable any localization in an app by doing the following:

1. Quit Yummy FTP if it is running
2. Select Yummy FTP in the Finder
3. Choose the Get Info option from the File menu
4. In the 'Languages' section, uncheck the Dutch option
5. Close the Info window
Wow, cool. That's a pretty neat trick I didn't know yet. Thanks Jason, my beloved YummyFTP has now returned to sanity again :D

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »
UPDATE:

This tip is no longer possible in later version of OS X. If you have Yummy appear in a language you don't want, visit the System Preferences -> Language and drag your preferred language to the top of the list.

TJung

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 06:28:49 PM »
UPDATE:

This tip is no longer possible in later version of OS X. If you have Yummy appear in a language you don't want, visit the System Preferences -> Language and drag your preferred language to the top of the list.

But this affects all applications on the system, doesn’t it?

Changing the language for a single application only can be done be using the Terminal (at least, this still worked in Mavericks):
Code: [Select]
defaults write com.yummysoftware.yummy-ftp AppleLanguages '("en-US")'

JD

• Administrator
  • FTP Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
Thanks for the additional tip! Yes, you're right that the setting affects all applications. It's a shame Apple took away the ability for the user to choose via a UI.